|Location:||East Central Iowa|
|County Average CSR:||65 weighted average, 80 Cropland Average, 82 CSR2 Cropland Average|
|State Average CSR:|
|Average Price per CSR2 Point:||$99.82|
|County Size:||439 sq miles|
|Farmland Acres:||219,001 total acres, 189,869 Cropland acres, 12,895 Woodland acres, 16,237 Other acres|
|Average Farmland Value (Price Per Acre):||$7,752|
|Average Farmland Value for East Central Iowa:||$7,917|
|Highest Known Farmland Sale in County:||159 Acres 79 CSR $10,061 / acre|
|Average County Rent:||$223.00|
|Rent Range:||$105/a to $350/a|
|Average rent for East Central Iowa:||$242.00|
|Rent per CSR Point:||$2.72 per CSR2|
|Improved Permanent Pasture:||$88.00/a region average|
|Unimproved Permanent Pasture:||$55.00/a region average|
|Stalk Grazing per Acre:||$11/a region average|
|Hunting Rights per Acre:||$16/a region average|
Towns: Atalissa, Blue Grass, Durant, Conesville, Fruitland, Muscatine, Nichols, Stockton, Walcott, West Liberty, Wilton
Unincorporated Areas: Cranston, Montpelier, Fairport, Moscow, Midway Beach, Petersburg
Townships: Wapsinonoc, Goshen, Moscow, Wilton, Fulton, Pike, Lake, Orono, Bloomington, Sweetland, Montpelier, Cedar, Fuitland, Seventy-Six
History: Muscatine County was formed on December 7, 1836. One history of the county claims it was named for Muscatine Island in the Mississippi River. The island lies opposite Muscatine County and was believed to be named after the Mascouten native American tribe, Algonquian-speaking Native Americans who lived in the area before being driven west by settler encroachment and other tribes. In 1833, Colonel George Davenport of Illinois sent three representatives into the territory to establish a trade post. They were the first European Americans to settle there. In the same year, James W. Casey and John Vanatta came to the area. They opened a supply depot for steamboats on June 1, 1833, and named it Casey’s Woodpile. (The steamboats burned wood.) The first public land sale was held in November 1838. One year later, the construction of the courthouse and a jail was begun. A second jail, referred to as the "Old Jail", was built in 1857. On December 23, 1864, the courthouse was complete gutted by a fire and, within two years, a new structure was completed on the same site. The construction of the courthouse still used today was completed on September 26, 1907.
Additional Information: Learn more on the Muscatine County Iowa website.
Information updated as of 12/20/2016. Compiled from sources including Iowa State University, Muscatine County Extension Office, Muscatine County courthouse records, Surety Maps, Wikipedia, Iowa Department of Transportation and USDA. An attempt has been made to verify information but it is not guaranteed to be accurate. Confirm all information that you must rely for decision making purposes.